[Paraview] how to build a parallel server for paraview?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Mar 18 01:20:21 EDT 2011

Setting up a cluster is somewhat outside the scope of the paraview list.

However, the parallel chapter in the new paraview book begins with
references that should help you.
See: http://paraview.org/Wiki/Users_Guide_Client-Server_Visualization

There are two system admin tasks that you want to tackle.
1) Set up a shared filesystem such as SMB, nfs, pvfs etc.
2) Configure the MPI installation on each machine to know about and be
authorized to connect to and run code on the rest of the machines. For both
tasks you need to consult the documentation that comes with the related
system software or let google do it.

Instead of testing the installation by running pvserver, I recommend you
start with a hello world program and once that is working try pvserver.

Since this is a windows cluster you may want to try Microsoft Windows HPC
server. It has fairly nice job scheduling (pbs like) features beyond what
something like stock MPICH offers and has decent support for making use of
hardware accelerated rendering. A demo of using ParaView on such a cluster
is given in:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The+HPC+Show/Open-source-HPC-code-Episode-22-Running-Paraview-on-Windows-HPC-Server

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.