[Paraview] Debugging a pvserver with multiple GPUs

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Mar 15 18:12:50 EDT 2011

That's a cool trick.  I took the liberty of adding it to the ParaView wiki page on setting up a pvserver:

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Setting_up_a_ParaView_Server#Multiple_GPUs_Per_Node

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
***********
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov
**  ***  **  phone: (505) 844-8919

From: pat marion <pat.marion at kitware.com<mailto:pat.marion at kitware.com>>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:04:53 -0600
To: ParaView <paraview at paraview.org<mailto:paraview at paraview.org>>
Subject: [Paraview] Debugging a pvserver with multiple GPUs

I just wanted to share a bit of useful code.  I wanted to confirm that all my pvserver processes had the correct DISPLAY environment variable defined.  I created an mpi command line that launched two processes per node, with half the processes using -display :0.0 and the other half using -display :0.1.  After connecting to the server, I ran this python code inside a Programmable Source:

import os
import subprocess

display = os.getenv('DISPLAY')
hostname = subprocess.Popen(['hostname'], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0].strip()
print hostname, display

The output is printed to the pvserver terminal:

Process id: 3 >> vs8 :0.0
Process id: 4 >> vs14 :0.1
Process id: 7 >> vs8 :0.1
Process id: 0 >> vs14 :0.0