[Paraview] extract location of minimum

Eelco van Vliet eelcovv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 07:04:14 EDT 2011

For those interested, I will give here my script how to extract the minimum
value and its location in a serie of time steps, write it to file and put
spheres on the local minimum.

Since my knowledge of VTK is quite limited, I didn't know how to access the
data, so I use some tricking to get it. Probably a much cleaner way of doing
this is possible. Be free to give suggestions

In order to get the locations from the ProgrammableFilter, my trick is to
write all the data with CSVWriter to separate files, and then loop over the
time step and read each file which containt the vtkTable data. This can
porbably as well obtained directory from the ProgrammableFilter, but how ?

Also, I wonder if it is necessary to use the ProgramableFilter in the first
place, because I am using pvbatch. So I am calling a python script from a
python script. The reason was that this allow to create a vtkTable, but
again, this can be done better I guess.

Anyway, any comments are welcome. I am also still learning this batch
programming in paraview. anyway, the version below works and I am quite
satisfied about the result

Regards

Eelco

try: paraview.simple
except: from paraview.simple import *
import os      # file i/o tools
import sys      # system tools
import re      # regular expressions
import subprocess
import pv        # load my own parafoam routines
import math
from optparse import OptionParser

paraview.simple._DisableFirstRenderCameraReset()

sm=servermanager
sm.Connect()
view             = CreateRenderView()
*
U_pxy_z0_600_t0 = LegacyVTKReader( FileNames=[ List of filename ])*

*Calculator2 = Calculator()
Calculator2.AttributeMode = 'point_data'
Calculator2.Function = 'U_Z'
Calculator2.ResultArrayName = 'U_Z'

 # define the programmable filter here to extract the minimum and position
 UzMinProgFilter=ProgrammableFilter()
 UzMinProgFilter.OutputDataSetType='vtkTable'
 UzMinProgFilter.PythonPath = ''
 UzMinProgFilter.RequestInformationScript = ''
 UzMinProgFilter.Script = "\
      input=inputs[0]\n\
      output=self.GetTableOutput()\n\
      Uzdata = input.PointData['U_Z']\n\
      uzmin = Uzdata[0]\n\
      numPoints = input.GetNumberOfPoints()\n\
      pts = vtk.vtkPoints()\n\
      for i in range(numPoints):\n\
         uz=Uzdata[i]\n\
         if uz < uzmin:\n\
            minpos = input.GetPoint(i)\n\
            uzmin = uz\n\
      vtkTable_xpmin=vtk.vtkFloatArray()\n\
      vtkTable_xpmin.InsertNextValue(minpos[0])\n\
      vtkTable_xpmin.SetName('xpmin')\n\
      vtkTable_ypmin=vtk.vtkFloatArray()\n\
      vtkTable_ypmin.InsertNextValue(minpos[1])\n\
      vtkTable_ypmin.SetName('ypmin')\n\
      vtkTable_zpmin=vtk.vtkFloatArray()\n\
      vtkTable_zpmin.InsertNextValue(minpos[2])\n\
      vtkTable_zpmin.SetName('zpmin')\n\
      vtkTable_uzmin=vtk.vtkFloatArray()\n\
      vtkTable_uzmin.InsertNextValue(uzmin)\n\
      vtkTable_uzmin.SetName('uzmin')\n\
      output.AddColumn(vtkTable_xpmin)\n\
      output.AddColumn(vtkTable_ypmin)\n\
      output.AddColumn(vtkTable_zpmin)\n\
      output.AddColumn(vtkTable_uzmin)\n\
"

   csvfile="Minima.csv"
   print "Writing all minima to CSV file: ",csvfile

writer_all=CSVWriter(UzMinProgFilter,FileName=csvfile,WriteAllTimeSteps=1)
   writer_all.UpdatePipeline()

*cnt=0
   print "Writing images:"
   for time in timesteps:
      # reading info from file cnt
      csvfile="Minima%d%s" % (cnt,'.csv')
      fp=open(csvfile,"r")
      lineList=fp.readlines()
      fp.close()
      xp,yp,zp,uz=lineList[-1].split(',')
      position=[float(xp),float(yp),float(zp)]
      print "Put sphere at ",position

      MinSphere=Sphere()
      MinSphere.Radius=0.001
      MinSphere.Center=position

      rep_sphere = Show(MinSphere,view)
      rep_sphere.DiffuseColor = [0.0, 0.0, 0.0]