[Paraview] Using streamtracer/gradient filters on "multi-block" data set

Sohail Shafii sohailshafii at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 17:29:13 EST 2011

Hi,

I've read in a CAS file, which Paraview read in a Multi-block dataset, which contains within it a unstructured grid.

Initially I had a problem where all of the data items were one-tuple arrays.  So I created a UVW (3-tuple velocity) array and added it to the pipeline this way using a Python programmable filter:

input   = self.GetInput()
output = self.GetOutput()

output.ShallowCopy(input)

****create array here***
output.GetBlock(0).GetCellData().AddArray(UVWArray)

Note that "GetBlock(0)" gives me access to the grid object.  For some reason the gradients and streamtracer filters were greyed out and unavailable.  So I decided to make the output variable a vtkUnstructuredGrid instead and transferred the UVW array to it this way:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }output.GetPointData().AddArray(UVWArray)

Nope...didn't work.  Any thoughts how I can modify the pipeline so that the streamtracer and gradients of unstructured data sets array can become usable? I'm guessing there is something in those classes which tells Paraview that they require certain input types. I've seen references to stuff like FillInputPortInformation.

Thanks,
Sohail

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap;