[Paraview] problems using parallel paraview in client/server mode

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Mar 1 11:54:59 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 4:24 AM, Natalie Happenhofer
<nataliehapp at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm encountering problems using Paraview in Client/Server Mode. I'm using
> ParaView 3.8.0-RC2, the remote system where the pvserver is started, is
> Gentoo Linux 4.4.3 and the client is started on my local Windows XP.
>
> The connection is established without problems and I have access to the
> remote directories.
> My data is stored in the Xdmf-Data format, so one file contains the grid and
> one or more attribute data associated with it. Opening the file and viewing
> the first variable is no problem, but changing to another set of attribute
> data leads to the Error
>
> Warning: In ..\..\..\src\Servers\Filters\vtkTexturePainter.cxx, line 173
>
> vtkTexturePainter (06F2A2B0): Failed to locate selected scalars. Will use
> image scalars by default.
>
> and whereas the information about the data range is correct, the image is
> just one color and definitly not correct.
>
> It seems to be a parallelization problem, since starting the pvserver on
> just one node and connecting, I encounter no such problems.

Are you looking at structured data in a 2D view? If so this is
probably the bug I fixed around the 3.8 time frame with:
commit 78da8a8e1132f2ea62f920038d67937a37cdfba6
Date:   Tue Jun 8 10:39:36 2010 -0400
If so, bump to a newer release it should be fixed.

> I've tried to connect with ParaView 3.8.1,, but starting the 3.8.1 pvserver,
> I get the error
>
> ./pvserver: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtWebKit.so.4: undefined
> symbol: _ZN15QGraphicsObject16staticMetaObjectE
>
> Is that saying I need to update my Qt? Im using Qt version 4.6.2.

I believe this is saying that the Qt you are using wasn't properly
configured/built/installed. I've run into problems like this with some
Qt binary installations on some platforms (most often Mac) so I tend
to build Qt from source myself.

If you have built ParaView from source, you can turn off the GUI. The
server doesn't need Qt so this problem should go away if you build
ParaView without it.