[Paraview] Ghost data in parallel formats

Renato Elias rnelias at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 09:50:38 EST 2011

Hi Berk, thanks for your answer.

I think I'm missing something.... you said cells only?!

If I understood this subject correctly, a cell should be considered ghost if
it's held by more than one partition/process, isn't it?! In this case,
there'll be an overlapped layer of elements. The problem is that my MPI
solver does not make use of this overlapped layer of cells/elements. It only
has nodes/points that are shared by processes. This explains why I asked by
a ghost node (shared node would be more appropriated to define such kind of
node).

Can I consider a cell as ghost if it touches the parallel interface (without
overlapping)? Would it work?

Regards

Renato.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com>wrote:

> All readers should support ghost cells as long as:
>
> - They support cell data
> - They support unsigned char data
>
>  (Note: you need ghost cells not points for this to work).
>
> All you have to do is to add a cell array called vtkGhostLevels to
> your data. Cells that are internal should have a value of 0, ghost
> cells should have a value of 1 - or higher if you have multiple layers
> of ghost cells.
>
> Doing a quick grep in VTK/IO, I see that the legacy reader and the XML
> reader support unsigned char. It doesn't look like EnSight supports
> it. Xdmf supports it.
>
> It would be relative easy to support signed integers by doing a
> conversion at read time, if you guys think that it is important.
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Renato Elias <rnelias at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> > just a (very) simple question:
> > Which Paraview/VTK file readers already have full support for ghost/halo
> > data when running in parallel?
> > thanks
> > ps.: In fact, I'd like to figure out how I could get rid of my parallel
> > interfaces among partitions.
> > --
> > Renato N. Elias
> > Researcher at High Performance Computing Center (NACAD)
> > Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
> > Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

> > Powered by www.kitware.com

> > http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView

Renato N. Elias
Professor at Technology and Multilanguage Department (DTL)
Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRRJ)
Nova Iguaçu, RJ - Brazil