[Paraview] Some questions regarding cave mode and tiled screens

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Jun 30 13:36:55 EDT 2011

Hi Atanas,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:10 AM, Atanas Atanasov <atanasoa at in.tum.de> wrote:
> Hi ,
> we have a system with 6 Displays. One pair of displays belongs to one node
> and this node two NVIDIA Quadro Plex 7000 cards. I have written a config
> file(.pvx) for the cave mode. When i try to connect the client with the
> server nodes i always get a warning that the DISPLAY on server side is not
> accessible.

Without using paraview can you open a display on the server side? If
not I would say that there is an issue with permissions (xhost+) or
display environment.

Another problem with the cave mode is the visualization of some
> vtk-files, which i can see with the tiled-display mode(about 70 MB oil field
> data). For the tiled display mode i use mpirun command with the ":"
> separation so that i can use both displays. Is this approach correct? Is it
> possible to use data server- render server together with the cave mode and
> tiled display mode? What will be the optimal process-setup for data/render
> server mode for tiled displays.

I will let someone else answer this question. But I would like to
mention that we are working on a related project and as part of that
we are re-factoring some of the cave configuration (adding support for
tracker configuration, devices), stereo computation (better stereo)
and interactions in VR (via wand etc) environment. We already made
some good progress on it.  Once we reach certain level, we will send
the details out to the mailing list.

If you are interested in details, please let  us know.

Thanks,