[Paraview] Colormaps when rendering 2 volumes

Gary Strangman gary.strangman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:44:10 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I fairly recently found Paraview, and it's capabilities are truly excellent
... the only package I've found that can handle some of my more complicated
visualization tasks.

I do have a question though. I'm running into a problem trying to display 2
(or more) volumes. The color maps seem to get automatically linked: that is,
setting the colormap on one volume automatically changes the map on the
other volume. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a workaround? Or is
this a known limitation? From reading the archives, volume rendering seems a
little less mature than the other rendering options, so maybe it's a
limitation? Conceptually, I'm trying to put a colorized volume inside
another (partially transparent, grayscale) volume ...

If It matters, I'm on ParaView 3.10.1 64-bit, win7 and my volumes are being
read in as NiftiImages.

-best
Gary