[Paraview] Windows install path

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Tue Jun 14 12:54:48 EDT 2011

Hi Owen,

You can use the registry to determine where ParaView is currently installed
on a Windows Machine. The keys you want to look for are:

   - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Kitware Inc.\ParaView 3.10.X
   (64bit machines single user install)
   - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Kitware Inc.\ParaView 3.10.X (32bit machines
   single user install)
   - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Kitware Inc.\ParaView 3.10.X
   (64bit machines all users)
   - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Kitware Inc.\ParaView 3.10.X (32bit
   machines all users)

Once you find the correct registry entry I would than add that to a
custom environment variable rather than path that your application also
looks at. Adding ParaView to the users path code cause problems if they have
multiple instances installed.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM, <owen.arnold at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> We’re working on a cross-platform application, which uses some of the
> paraview libraries. Ultimately, we want our users to be able to install
> Paraview, and then install our packages. For this to work, on Windows we
> need to be able to identify where Paraview has been installed to and add it
> to the Path. This doesn’t seem to be an option with the current Paraview
> install.
>

> My temporary fix has been to change CPACK_NSIS_MODIFY_PATH from OFF to ON
> in \Applications\ParaView\CMakeLists.txt, which provides the extra screen in
> the NSIS installer and then package up Paraview for distribution myself.
>

> Is there a better way of doing this?
>
> Is this kind of install something that could be provided as an option
> without modifying CMake files?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Owen.
>
> --