[Paraview] Concept: A world without the Apply button

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Jun 7 10:56:04 EDT 2011

One thing that strikes me about this proposal, is that it relies a lot on
VTK readers/filters providing the necessary meta data, particularly about
fields.  For example, the elevation filter would have to report in its
meta data that it will be adding a scalar field named Elevation.  That
sounds easy enough to implement, but would have to be independently added
for all readers/filters.  This would be especially problematic for
user-provided plugins.

Is there a way to mitigate the issues with the meta data mismatching what
is actually generated?  Perhaps there could be a check to make sure that
the data generated matches the meta data previously reported and issue a
warning if there are any mismatches.  This would not solve the problem per
se, but would quickly alert developers to problems and make it easier to
debug.

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories