[Paraview] Displaying a flat polygon with multiple vertices

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Jul 13 17:42:34 EDT 2011

I'd like to expand on Burlen's answer, which is correct.  VTK sort of handles concave polygons and sort of doesn't.  In particular, it does not render them correctly because the polygons are send directly to the OpenGL rendering system, which in turn does not handle them.  It would be possible for VTK to handle this correctly, but it would be inefficient in the common case where polygons are convex.

In general, filters should handle concave polygons correctly.  For example, run your polygon through the Triangulate filter.  It will be properly triangulated and will then render correctly.

This issue has shown up on the ParaView and VTK mailing lists before.  For a lengthy discussion, see this email thread:

http://markmail.org/message/e3fal43v6wzwkgm4

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories