[Paraview] paraview crashes on obj file originating from VMD

Peter C. Lai pcl at uab.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:38:17 EST 2011

Thanks for the reply. Any conversion alternatives? Like converting from
POVRay?

Let me look into inlineing the VRML mats. I will probably panic more
about this in a month when stuff needs to work, but thanks for expressing
and interest.

On 2011-02-17 12:19:20PM -0600, David E DeMarle wrote:
> For VRML it looks like our ancient reader does not support aliasing.
> If you can configure the code that created vmd1.wrl to inline the
> VMDCyl and VMDMat, I suspect that ParaView will read it.
>
> For our equally ancient OBJ it does appear that we do not support mtl
> files. The vtkOBJReader.cxx has a comment (following) that describes
> the small subset of OBJ that it will read. I was able to read the file
> with 3.10 with a debug build, but not a release build, which indicates
> an uninitialized variable in the reader, which I should be able fix
> for 3.10 final.

Hmmm, I'd love to see the patch for this (I tend to build it from source
to begin with).

Also, if it reads texture coordinates, doesn't mtl make up part of the texture
definition? (and mtl is basically just a list of RGB triplets for
ambient, diffuse, and specular colors, and a single scalar each for alpha chan,
phong, and illumination model, with an option for including a texture map);
I wonder if it's just a stub function we can replace (since the renderer
has to apply the default white texture somehow anyway...).

> Please suggest modernizing these readers on user voice and if enough
> people chime in we'll get it into 3.10.1 or 4.10.

User voice?