[Paraview] Polyvertex Topology

Dan Lussier dtlussier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:38:57 EST 2011

Hi Matthias,

Try changing your Topology tag to:

<Topology TopologyType="Polyvertex" NumberOfElements="2">

The NumberOfElements property corresponds to the number of points or
particles you have in your system for a Polyvertex type file.

This shouldn't be (but seems to often be) confused with the Dimension
property of the DataItem for the Geometry.

The best way to think about it from my experience is that the
NumberOfElements is a grid topology specific item, so it should be
related to the grid itself (i.e. you're grid is just 2 particle).
This is in contrast to the Dimensions property of the Geometry, which
is related to the underlying data (which in this case is Dimensions="2
3" because you are using <Geometry Type="XYZ>).  Dimension  is a
general property of any underlying data (i.e. Geomety or any scalar/
vector/tensor, etc.) and is uniquely determined by the nature of the
underlying data rather than the way you intend on representing it on
the grid.

Also, when you get a crash - it can be handy to check the log files to
see what went wrong.  On OS X (sorry I don't know about other systems)
you can access all the logs (Paraview logs, as well as the overall
system logs) in the Console.  I've found this useful when I cause PV
to crash with a bad XDMF file as otherwise you don't get much
information because the application crashes so fast it is impossible
to read the error message that pops up.

Dan