[Paraview] unstructured grid, programmable filters: extract, process array data

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 11:45:14 EST 2011

Hi all,

I've been looking at
<http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Python_Programmable_Filter> to create a
programmable filter, but I'm a bit lost as to whether or not I need
GetPolyData, CopyAttributes,...

Essentially, I have an unstructured grid in an ExodusII file (like the
attached file actually) with point data "psi" in it that has two
components (X,Y). I can plot psi:X, psi:Y, and psi:magnitude alright
with the default GUI options, but what I would really like to have
plotted is X^2+Y^2 (no sqrt()) and something along the lines of
arctan(Y/X).

Is there simple code somewhere some that takes array data off of an
unstructured grid, does something with it and returns the extra array
from the filter?

Cheers,
Nico