[Paraview] extract location of minimum

Eelco van Vliet eelcovv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:34:13 EST 2011

Hi David,

Thanks for you suggestion, I got much closer to what I want, but not quite
yet. I have the feeling I need one slight extra hint :)

To obtain the position of a minimun value I now do the script below: I get
the mimimum value first with MinMax, then I Threshold the original data on a
range between min and 0.9*min (the minimum values are negative), then I use
the calculator to get the x and y position of this range, and then I use the
DescriptiveStatitics filter to get the average mean of the position. I can
even use Fetch again to obtain the data, but now the very last step: how to
I get the mean data itself ? Sorry, I just don't understand how that
data.objects exactly work, and there is not much assessible documentation on
it.

I hope you can give me one last hint

Regards

Eelco

      mm=MinMax(Uzcomponent)
      mm.Operation="MIN"
      mindata=sm.Fetch(Uzcomponent,mm,mm)
      mindata.GetPointData().GetNumberOfArrays()
      a0 = mindata.GetPointData().GetArray(1)
      uzname=a0.GetName()
      uzmin=a0.GetTuple1(0)
      print "minimum of %s found: %g\n "%(uzname,uzmin)

      Threshold1 = Threshold(Uzcomponent)
      Threshold1.Scalars=['POINTS',uzname]
      Threshold1.ThresholdRange=[uzmin,0.9*uzmin]

      CalcPos = Calculator()
      CalcPos.AttributeMode = 'point_data'
      CalcPos.Function = 'iHat*coordsX+jHat*coordsY+kHat*coordsZ'
      CalcPos.ResultArrayName = 'MinPos'

      DescriptiveStatistics1 = DescriptiveStatistics()
      DescriptiveStatistics1.VariablesofInterest = ['MinPos']
      statistics=sm.Fetch(DescriptiveStatistics1)