[Paraview] Problem with probe location

Paul Edwards paul.m.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:08:25 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm getting incorrect results from probe location as the tolerance seems to
be very lenient.  My datasets are multiblock containing volumes and
surfaces.  The point probe is matching the surfaces as well as the volume
when the point is quite far away the surface (and confusing my users!)

You can see how high the tolerance is by creating a Wavelet source (all
default values) and then using the "ProbeLocation" filter at point (10.9, 0,
0)  - this is quite far out of the volume but it still returns a valid
match.

I've looked in vtkProbeFilter (vtkProbeFilter::ProbeEmptyPoints) and notice
that the tolerance is set to:

    diagonal_length_squared / 1000

Could we change this to?:

   diagonal_length_squared / 1000000