[Paraview] ExodusII and mode shape animation

Paw Møller pawsen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 06:27:46 EST 2011

Hi

First of: I write to the ExodusII format from my own fortran program.

I would like to animate some mode shapes (or complex harmonic solutions).
My solution is a complex vector u. The physical displacement over e.g one
period is then
              d = Re( u*exp(i*omega*t)) =>
              d = Re(u)*cos(omega*t)-Im(u)*sin(omega*t)

To animate this I could write the real and imaginary part of u in
two vectors, and then multiply with cosine and -sine. But then I have to
do that for each timestep somehow and I dont know how to do that. Would it
be possible to write a vector containing the timesteps and then do the math
with the calculator?

The ExodusII has a 'has mode shape' function. But I haven't been able to
find any examples/documentation on it. It seems that you write the
eigenfrequency as time for the corresponding displacementvector. But how do
you animate the modeshape itself?

Any help is appriciated!
Thanks,
Paw