[Paraview] Out of memory when exporting animations

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Mon Dec 5 09:57:24 EST 2011

Hi Thomas,

We've been hitting this same problem and trying to fix this since last week.

We're creating an animation with pvbatch rather than pvserver.

The only success we've had is with ParaView-3.8.

3.10 and 3.12 both have the behaviour you describe below.

We've also tried building PV with Mesa3d 6.5.2, 7.10.3 and 7.11.2 and
without MPI.

Here's a link to a valgrid/vtk_debug_leaks output of a cut down
animation that doesn't run of memory (but does grow steadily):

http://pastebin.com/j1crtJp0

Plenty of squawks... the only thing I can see that would account for the
amount of memory leaking is the 3.6GB memory "still reachable".

This could be due to C++ STL memory pooling - was STL added after 3.8?

Goodwin