[Paraview] Cosmo Reader - 64bit IDs

joseph insley insley at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 31 10:43:00 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have some large data sets in the Cosmo format that I'd like to visualize with ParaView, but the format is slightly different from that expected by the built-in CosmoReader.  Because the data sets I have use a very large number of particles, they use a 64bit int for the ID tag, rather than the 32bit expected by the reader.   Looking at the source code for the reader (and HaloFinder) I see that there is an #ifdef ID_64, which if I understand correctly will compile the code using 64 bits for the particle IDs, just as I need.  So my first question is, is this understanding correct? If so, how do I configure ParaView to build with the ID_64 defined?  Is there some place that I need to add -DID_64 when running ccmake?  Also, I assume this means that it will then only read datasets with the 64bit IDs.  I do also have some data sets that use the standard 32bit ID format.  I was hoping there would be a way (via the GUI perhaps) to specify the precision of the IDs, and use the same executable, rather than maintain two builds of ParaView to accommodate the two cosmo formats.

Any insight on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
joe.