[Paraview] Python - load state just like when using the GUI

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 24 23:56:20 EDT 2011

Hi all,

So I did some more digging. It turns out the instructions on the wiki at:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ParaView/Python_Scripting#Loading_State_and_Manipulating_It

is wrong. If you follow those steps, you just get a black image with nothing in it. However, I found a presentation at:

http://www.vgtc.org/PDF/slides/2008/visweek/tutorial6_ayachit_python.pdf

with the correct steps. To load the state file correctly, one must do:

from paraview.simple import *
servermanager.LoadState(filename)
view = servermanager.GetRenderView()
view.StillRender()

I've requested an account on the wiki so I can make the change to the page (assuming as a new user I can... if not, can somebody update the information?)

Tim