[Paraview] Distributing PVSC files (ParaView 4.0)

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Tue Aug 23 09:38:38 EDT 2011

Burlen,

Good points. At the risk of stating the obvious let's note that we'll
be able to distribute different pvsc versions for the server for
different OSs and ParaView versions without any issue. Now locating
ssh/xterm/plink etc are indeed real issues.

I don't like the cmake approach, it requires that we need a separate
step and would require users to install cmake (unless we include cmake
in the binaries). libssh approach sounds interesting. The only concern
is will users to reluctant to use a ssh client we provide rather than
their chosen (and trusted one).

Like John said, the file inputs are already supported in pvsc.

Pat Marion has been pushing for the ability to have Python scripts
instead-of/in-addition-to pvsc-xmls. I think that's another viable
approach since it allows us to write code to discover information
about the client/server and take appropriate action(s).

Utkarsh