[Paraview] Good/Possible/Bad idea? Use Camera matrix to Exaggerate Z Scale

Sean Ziegeler sean.ziegeler at nrlssc.navy.mil
Thu Aug 11 15:54:22 EDT 2011

We see a similar thing in ocean/atmospheric data.  X & Y is in a
different coordinate system than Z (e.g., lon/lat degrees vs. meters
respectively), and thus must be scaled to be viewed properly.

My solution is to use the Transform Filter when possible to scale the Z
axis.  The advantage is that you don't have to set the scale matrix for
every actor; the transformed coordinates are passed to every downstream
filter.  The disadvantage is that the true coordinates are no longer
available if needed, for example, if you turn on axis labeling, or do
computations that require the true coordinates.

Also, in some cases, the Transform filter is not available, for
rectilinear data, for example.  I use a Programmable filter for those
cases, but the above issues still apply.

IMO, for ocean/atmospheric data, it would be handy to support separate
display and computation coordinates.  It sounds like your data would
have the same requirement.  One way would be some process/filter that
modifies all downstream actors.  In any case, I can't think of a way to
do it that isn't time consuming, and I've given it a good bit of
thought.  If someone else has a better idea, I'd be all ears.

Thanks,
Sean