[Paraview] Displaying a CSV file from python

Adrien camaradetux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 08:29:12 EDT 2011

Hi,

I've very recently started using Paraview for displaying some rather
simple data from a CSV file.

It is working well from inside Paraview itself but when I try to do it
from a python script (with pvpython), I get a blank window.

My reproducer is: (copied by hand, so there might be small typos)

  from paraview.simple import *
  import time

  view = CreateXYPlotView()

  reader = CSVReader(FileName="foo.csv", DetectNumericColumns=1,
MergeConsecutiveDelimiters=0, FieldDelimiterCharacters=',',
UseStringDelimiter=0, HaveHeaders=0)

  PlotData()
  Show()
  Render()
  time.sleep(3) # I actually use interactors from vtk and move/zoom
with the mouse

foo.csv is:
  900, 1024
  671, 0123
  567, 0410

It might be something very simple (and probably is) because I'm only
starting with VTK and Paraview (meaning I might have missed or
misunderstood something in the documentation for instance).

Thanks,

Adrien Nader