[Paraview] Paraview v3.10.1/0 segmentation fault with MPI and MESA support on.

Albina, Frank frank.albina at sauber-motorsport.com
Thu Aug 4 07:54:59 EDT 2011

I think I have solved the issue I was having just now. I could not pursue it for a while because of other job priorities and we were at the time still having a functioning system with ParaView v3.8.1. This is the reason of the late reply.

I have managed to have a working solution for the following constellation on my SLES10 64bits box:
+ gcc v4.5.1
+ OpenMPI v1.5.3
+ Qt v4.6.3
+ Python v2.7
+ Mesa v7.10.3
+ cmake v2.8.4

Mesa was compiled with following options:
./configure --with-x --build=x86_64-suse-linux --prefix=/data/CFD/develop/opt/MESA/Mesa-7.10.3 --disable-egl --enable-pic --disable-gallium --enable-static EXTRA_LIB_PATH="-L/usr/X11R6/lib64" --with-driver=xlib

The reason why I am not building the Mesa libs using the --with-driver=osmesa option, is that I want to be able to use X and not rely on the OGL HW implementation, but rather on OSMESA. This way, I can also require to use off-screen rendering for batch jobs through pvbatch or pvserver from the same compiled binaries with Mesa and have a graphical front-end for test purposes.

Until  now I have tried without success so far to make use of the shared Mesa libraries, ie. I still got a segmentation fault, no matter how I compiled the Mesa libraries on my system. Since the culprit was the libGL.so mismatch between system, Mesa own libGL.so and libOSMesa.so, I switched to static libraries which ultimately worked.

Here are my configuration variables:

OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR               /data/CFD/develop/opt/MESA/Mesa-7.10.3/include
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY                /data/CFD/develop/opt/MESA/Mesa-7.10.3/lib/libGL.a
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY               /data/CFD/develop/opt/MESA/Mesa-7.10.3/lib/libGLU.a
OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR         /data/CFD/develop/opt/MESA/Mesa-7.10.3/include
OSMESA_INCLUDE_DIR               /data/CFD/develop/opt/MESA/Mesa-7.10.3/include
OSMESA_LIBRARY                   /data/CFD/develop/opt/MESA/Mesa-7.10.3/lib/libOSMesa.a
VTK_USE_OFFSCREEN                OFF
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA            ON
VTK_USE_X                        ON

I am not sure that this procedure works 100%. I will keep you in touch in case I can manage another successful build on a different computer.

HTH.

Cheers,

Frank.