[Paraview] Problem with large VTK format file

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Fri Apr 29 09:28:40 EDT 2011

Hi,

While you can enable 64bit Ids with VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS it will not fix the
issue with vtkRectilinearGridReader not being able to load files with more
than 2^31 points. I would recommend that you write out the new XML format
for those files. You should also report a bug that
the vtkRectilinearGridReader doesn't support more than 2^32 points.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Mattias Chevalier <
mattias.chevalier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm using ParaView to visualize data from CFD-runs, more specifically
> direct numerical simulations data and we use the VTK binary rectilinear grid
> format. I run into problem when I have larger values in POINT_DATA than
>  2^31. The error message that I get is:
>
> ERROR: In
> /home/raber/Paraview_src/ParaView-3.8.1-RC1/VTK/IO/vtkRectilinearGridReader.cxx,
> line 293
> vtkRectilinearGridReader (0xeef2e70): Cannot read point data!
>
> It is evident of course that integers are defined as int32 and my question
> is if it is straightforward to compile with long integers instead or if this
> could cause any other problems within ParaView.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mattias

Robert Maynard