[Paraview] avi option not present for animations

pratik pratik.mallya at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 06:56:25 EDT 2011

On Sunday 17 April 2011 03:31 PM, Pratik Mallya wrote:
> Pratik Mallya wrote:
>> David Partyka wrote:
>>> If you're building on Linux or OSX you have to build with FFMPEG.
>>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Pratik Mallya
>>> <pratik.mallya at gmail.com <mailto:pratik.mallya at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     The option to save an animation as a .avi file is not available in
>>>     my paraview 3.10 installation. Did i miss something during the
>>>     build process?
>>>     --     *Pratik Mallya*
>>>     Powered by www.kitware.com <http://www.kitware.com>
>>>
>>>     Visit other Kitware open-source projects at
>>>     http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
>>>
>>>     Please keep messages on-topic and check the ParaView Wiki at:
>>>     http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView
>>>
>>>     Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
>>>

>> Thanks.I tried bulding paraview 3.6.2  with ffmpeg libraries created
>> from the source given at the vtk website; but i got the following
>> output:
>> [  0%] Built target vtkWrapPython
>> [  0%] Built target vtkWrapPythonInit
>> [  0%] Built target vtksys
>> [  1%] Built target vtkzlib
>> [  2%] Built target vtkjpeg
>> [  2%] Built target vtkpng
>> [  2%] Built target vtkmkg3states
>> [  2%] Built target vtktiff
>> [  2%] Built target vtkexpat
>> [  2%] Built target vtkfreetype
>> [  2%] Built target vtklibxml2
>> [  2%] Built target vtkDICOMParser
>> [  2%] Built target ProcessShader-real
>> [  2%] Built target ProcessShader
>> [  2%] Built target vtkMaterialLibraryConfiguredFiles
>> [  3%] Built target vtkproj4
>> [  3%] Built target lproj
>> [  3%] Built target vtkverdict
>> [  3%] Built target vtkNetCDF
>> [  3%] Built target vtkmetaio
>> [  3%] Built target vtksqlite
>> [  4%] Built target vtkexoIIc
>> [  5%] Built target vtkalglib
>> [  5%] Built target vtkEncodeString
>> [  5%] Built target vtkftgl
>> [  5%] Built target vtkParseOGLExt
>> [  6%] Built target vtkCommon
>> [  9%] Built target vtkCommonPythonD
>> [  9%] Built target vtkCommonPython
>> [ 11%] Built target vtkFiltering
>> [ 15%] Built target vtkFilteringPythonD
>> [ 15%] Built target vtkFilteringPython
>> [ 16%] Built target vtkImaging
>> [ 18%] Built target vtkImagingPythonD
>> [ 18%] Built target vtkImagingPython
>> [ 20%] Built target vtkGraphics
>> [ 25%] Built target vtkGraphicsPythonD
>> [ 25%] Built target vtkGraphicsPython
>> [ 25%] Built target vtkGenericFiltering
>> [ 25%] Built target vtkGenericFilteringPythonD
>> [ 25%] Built target vtkGenericFilteringPython
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
>> `/usr/local/ffmpeg_inst_ParaView/lib/libavcodec.a', needed by
>> `bin/libvtkIO.so.pv3.6'.  Stop.
>> make[1]: *** [VTK/IO/CMakeFiles/vtkIO.dir/all] Error 2
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> is there something i am missing?
> I am sorry....there was something wrong with what i typed into ccmake.
> PLease ignore previous post

After a long while, i again tried building paraview.....i did turn on
the extensions, and did everything that was given in the help file that
came along with the ffmpeg download from the kitware website itsle, and
still the option to save as .avi is not present :-/
Any suggestions why this? may be happening?