[Paraview] export to vectorial image format

Nima Emadi deeepsky at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:57:15 EDT 2011

Apparently Paraview does not generate vectorial images at the moment.

Would it be possible to generate such an image by first exporting to a
3D format (like POV or X3D) and then converting the scene to a
vectorial format using another application? any suggestion ...?

Best,
Nima

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:51 PM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
> Sven,
>
> Despite the limitations, would you please push that patch to github?
> Once there distribution, upkeep and maintenance will be easier.
>
> thanks,
>
> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 28 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-371-3971 x109
>

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Sven Buijssen
> <sven.buijssen at tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I happen to have a small patch for the git master branch that adds vector
>> graphics output (EPS, PS and SVG) to the Save Screenshot dialog and uses
>> vtkGL2PSExporter as a backend, too. Actually, it's just an updated version of
>> the patch for this matter I posted on this list back in 2007. But as holds for
>> the Python approach it has a few drawbacks:
>>
>> * Only 3D View support
>> * Builtin mode and client/server mode support (but using merely 1 server
>> process, empty file when using more)
>> * No support for Manta/EyeDom/other views
>> * No multi-view support
>> * No support for mandelbrot source
>> * No support for text/annotate time source (a rectangular box is drawn instead),
>> one can resort to a 3D Text source, though
>> * No support for Volume rendering
>> * No support for Slice representation (try Surface representation of a slice
>> filter output)
>> * No support for PointSprite representation
>> * No support for SurfaceLIC representation, even crashes ParaView on export
>> * In display tab of object inspector, "Interpolate scalars" needs to be ticked
>> off for every visible object; otherwise object is rendered gray
>> (see http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=1630)
>> * Requires an old version of the colorbar implementation or colorbar will be
>> rendered gray
>>
>> So, don't get your hopes up too much about vtkGL2PSExporter.
>>
>> Sven
>>

>> Hom Nath Gharti wrote, On 03/31/11 14:05:
>>> You might try to run the script below to see if your image quality is good
>>> enough to use vtkGL2PSExporter
>>>
>>> rw=GetActiveView().GetRenderWindow()
>>> exp=paraview.vtk.vtkInstantiator.CreateInstance('vtkGL2PSExporter')
>>> exp.SetRenderWindow(rw)
>>> exp.SetDrawBackground(0)
>>> exp.SetSortToSimple()
>>> exp.SetFileFormatToEPS()