[Paraview] Still more trouble compiling VisitBridge with Paraview 3.10 on RHEL 5

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Apr 11 14:16:00 EDT 2011

On 04/11/2011 01:57 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
> rpaths are stripped to ensure that installed executable don't depend
> on anything that is not installed. To circumvent the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> issues, Paraview uses what we call "shared-forwarding". The paraview
> executable that gets installed in "bin" directory is not the real
> paraview executable instead it's a wrapper executable that sets up the
> environment variables and the forks the real paraview executable
> (which is trypically under lib/paraview-version/...).

Another name for the forwarding executable is "launcher".  However, we
only enable those if BUILD_SHARED_LIBS is ON.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Cook, Rich <cook47 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> I also forgot to include the fact that IMO the installer stripping the
> rpath out of binaries without any way to prevent this breaks my install
> and is in my opinion a bug :-)  I have to install them by just copying
> them by hand.

CMake links with RPATH set in the build tree to make tests easy to run.
Then it strips these from the install tree intentionally because there is
a documented API by which to set the desired RPATH for the install tree:

http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#variable:CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#prop_tgt:INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#variable:CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#prop_tgt:INSTALL_RPATH

You might be able to just add -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH=ON to
your cache.

-Brad