[Paraview] paraview kills itself while saving animation

Bart Vandewoestyne Bart.Vandewoestyne at telenet.be
Mon Apr 11 08:13:30 EDT 2011

Hello list,

I am trying to create an animation out of 2654 .vtu files.  Each
.vtu file is 6888 bytes large.  That is about 18GB of data.  I am
asking an Animation Duration of 10 seconds and a Frame Rate of 32
fps.

With ParaView 3.10.0 32-bit on Ubuntu 10.10, ParaView kills
itself after a while.  Keeping an eye on my disk space and
memory, I noticed that I still have 2GB of disk space left, but
the memory consumption by ParaView seems to increase slowly
during the creation of the animation (from 5% till 60% of my
available memory), until the moment where ParaView suddenly kills
itself (I assume because of a memory problem).

I have tried the same with ParaView 3.8.1 and there it works and
I didn't notice any memory increase: during the whole process of
creating the movie, ParaView constantly used about 5% of my
computer memory and all went fine.

Has the code that implements the animation creation drastically
changed from 3.8.1 to 3.10.0?  And could it be that the
animation creation code of 3.10.0 has a memory leak?

Kind regards,
Bart

--
	"Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."