[Paraview] ParaView 3.10.0 on OS-X: Library not included in App Bundle: libQtCLucene.4.dylib

Eric Nodwell enodwell at ucalgary.ca
Fri Apr 8 11:50:31 EDT 2011

Hi,

I can successfully build ParaView 3.10.0 (with some additional custom filters) on OS-X.  However the resulting app bundle ends up missing a required library, libQtCLucene.4.dylib.

It can still be run on any system on which Qt is installed.  However if Qt is not installed on the system, the following error occurs:

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: libQtCLucene.4.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/ParaView-3.10.0-n88/ParaView 3.10.0.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview
  Reason: image not found

As an ugly hack, I tried copying libQtCLucene.4.dylib from the official binary of ParaView 3.10.0 (which does include it).  This doesn't work though, as the build of ParaView is hard-wired to look for libQtCLucene.4.dylib in /usr/lib .

Note that libQtPython.dylib and libQtTesting.dylib do get included in my build of ParaView; it is just libQtCLucene.4.dylib that is missing.

Poking around the CMakeFiles I found that a file gets created in the CMake build tree, Applications/ParaView/ParaView_OSX_MakeStandAloneBundle.cmake, (derived from Applications/ParaView/CompleteBundle.cmake.in) that does have some custom handling for the libQtCLucene library.  In particular, in ensures that the path where libQtCLucene is found (happens to be /usr/lib) is passed in libs_path to CMake's fixup_bundle command.  I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with bundles to figure out why fixup_bundle still fails to identify libQtCLucene.4.dylib as a required dependency that should be included.

There is evidently a solution, since the official ParaView binaries for OS-X do in fact include libQtCLucene.4.dylib in the App bundle.  Anyone have any insight how this is achieved?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Eric Nodwell