[Paraview] ParaView's EnSight Reader Capability Question.

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Thu Apr 7 14:19:14 EDT 2011

I have a question regarding ParaView's EnSight reader capability.

For geometrically complex, multi-material geologic simulations that
include faults, I am planning on creating a capability that starts with
a set of regular cubes (an unstructured 8-node hexahedral finite element
mesh that resembles an i,j,k-structured mesh) that is transected by an
arbitrarily oriented "fault" plane.

Without going into the simulation capability's numerical algorithm
details, the fault plane intersection with the regular array of cubes
will generate finite elements that consist of nfaced-polyhedrons defined
by nsided-polygons.

It appears from the EnSight post-processor format document that their
Gold Format supports "parts" that have finite elements which are
"nfaced-polyhedrons defined by nsided-polygons" (page 11-8, EnSight 7
Users Manual).

Question: Does the ParaView EnSight reader support this feature?

Thanks in advance for responding,

Sam Key