[Paraview] Problem installing prebuilt 64-bit Linux binaries

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Tue Apr 5 11:01:39 EDT 2011

Hello,

This is my first message to the Paraview list, though I have been
using the software for several years now.

The latest 3.10 prebuilt 64-bit binary package contained no
installation instructions (which is odd for a package of
Paraview's size), plus it was missing some critical symlinks.

So for the benefit of those who follow, here is how I got it to
work (installing into /usr/local):

% tar -xzf ParaView-3.10.0-Linux-x86_64.tar.gz
% cd ParaView-3.10.0-Linux-x86_64/
% sudo mv bin/* /usr/local/bin/
% sudo mv lib/* /usr/local/lib64/
% cd /usr/local/lib64/
% sudo ln -s paraview-3.10 paraview
% cd paraview
% sudo ln -s paraview paraview-real

Finally, is there any way to search the Paraview archives? I have
a few other questions about changes in recent versions (like the
default glyph for unstructured point sets, which was once an
attractive circle, is now an awkward square).

Mark