[Paraview] problem in installation: vtkIceTSynchronizedRenderers

Pratik Mallya pratik.mallya at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 20:47:40 EDT 2011

David E DeMarle wrote:
> You said MPI was not the default setting, so this means you turned it
> ON correct?
>
> If so, where are your MPI_INCLUDE, MPI_LIBRARY and MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY
> pointing to?
>
> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 28 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-371-3971 x109
>

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Pratik Mallya <pratik.mallya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> David Partyka wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pratik,
>>>
>>> Is your ParaView source from git? If so, have you run git submodule update
>>> recently?
>>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Pratik Mallya <pratik.mallya at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:pratik.mallya at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Greetings,
>>>    this is the output that I get on trying to build paraview. All the
>>>    defaults are ON except MPI. Can anyone please tell what is wrong?
>>>
>>>    [ 77%] Built target vtkPVPythonInterpretor
>>>    [ 78%] Built target vtkPVFilters
>>>    [ 81%] Built target vtkPVFiltersCS
>>>    [ 83%] Built target vtkPVFiltersPythonD
>>>    [ 83%] Built target vtkPVFiltersPython
>>>    [ 84%] Built target vtkPVFiltersPythonSIP
>>>    Linking CXX executable ../../../../bin/ServersFiltersPrintSelf
>>>    ../../../../bin/libvtkPVFilters.so: undefined reference to
>>>    `vtkIceTSynchronizedRenderers::SetRenderPass(vtkRenderPass*)'
>>>    ../../../../bin/libvtkPVFilters.so: undefined reference to
>>>    `vtkIceTSynchronizedRenderers::New()'
>>>    ../../../../bin/libvtkPVFilters.so: undefined reference to
>>>
>>>  `vtkIceTSynchronizedRenderers::SetImageProcessingPass(vtkImageProcessingPass*)'
>>>    ../../../../bin/libvtkPVFilters.so: undefined reference to
>>>    `vtkIceTSynchronizedRenderers::SetUseDepthBuffer(bool)'
>>>    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>>    make[2]: *** [bin/ServersFiltersPrintSelf] Error 1
>>>    make[1]: ***
>>>
>>>  [Servers/Filters/Testing/Cxx/CMakeFiles/ServersFiltersPrintSelf.dir/all]
>>>    Error 2
>>>    make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>
>>>    --     *Pratik Mallya*
>>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pratik.mallya
>>>    Powered by www.kitware.com <http://www.kitware.com>
>>>
>>>    Visit other Kitware open-source projects at
>>>    http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
>>>
>>>    Please keep messages on-topic and check the ParaView Wiki at:
>>>    http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView
>>>
>>>    Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
>>>

>> Hi David,
>> ( I am really new to Linux so I don't know much; if these errors are
>> something trivial please let me know)
>> It seems that in the paraview source dir, under /servers/filters, the file
>> vtkIceTSynchronizedRenderers.cxx exists which has all the classes defined
>> within it! how do i tell the installation to look there?

> [...]
No. What I had meant was that only  PARAVIEW_USE_MPI is OFF , all the
rest are 'ON'. I had tried with it ON but paraview had crashed (and i
read a lot of mail saying that there was some bug with it), and since i
didn't really need it i turned it 'OFF' and built again, in the same
directory.
Perhaps this is the problem? Maybe it didn't recompile some files. I'll
try a completely fresh build now.