[Paraview] Computation of gradients fails

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Sep 22 12:16:25 EDT 2010

After taking a look at your mesh, I see that the problem is that you have some degenerate tetrahedra.  That is, there are tetrahedra where all 4 vertices are in a plane.  In this case the tetrahedron is self-intersecting and the gradient is ill-defined (over constrained I believe), which is why the linear solver is failing to compute it.  You can find the degenerate tetrahedra by running the Mesh Quality filter to compute the volume of the tetrahedra and look for any resulting "Quality" that is not strictly greater than 0.

So, you can do one of two things.  The first is to ignore the errors.  I don't think that any of the degenerate cells are part of the surface (although I can't be sure), and since the end game is to compute values on the surface it might not effect anything.

The second thing you can do is to fix the mesh.  The best thing to do is to go back to whatever created the original mesh, fix it, and rerun the simulation.  There is a reasonable chance that these degenerate tetrahedra also had a negative impact on the simulation results.  If that's not practical, you can use the volume computed by the Mesh Quality filter and the Threshold filter to remove any tetrahedra that don't have a strictly positive volume.  That will mess up the connectivity of the mesh though.

-Ken