[Paraview] ParaView-3.8.0 CAVE display Linux

Patrick Shinpaugh shpatric at vt.edu
Thu Sep 16 00:45:20 EDT 2010

Hi,
For the CAVE, we use ParaView 2.6.1 with success. With 3.8.0, we are
having issues. We use the same PVX file and machine file and similar
start scripts. There are only 4 machines (vis1,vis2,vis3,vis4) in
addition to the client. The 8 names in the PVX and machines files are
aliases to prevent duplicates since there are 2 X11 screens per machine.

Before building PV-3.8.0 I set

this->StereoType = VTK_STEREO_CRYSTAL_EYES;

in VTK/Rendering/vtkRenderWindow.cxx which used to set the default
stereo but regardless it comes up with red/blue stereo (in the paraview
client the graphics window is purple). This works without a problem in
PV-2.6.1. So, first question - where do I set default stereo?

When running the paraview3-cave script (see below), the following
occurs.
$ paraview3-cave
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
# At this point the paraview client opens, connects (or attempts to)
# with the servers, each of the screens flash but return to the default
# desktop. The paraview client continues to function normally, but
# nothing is displayed on the CAVE walls. On exit...
mpirun: killing job...

mpirun noticed that process rank 7 with PID 3175 on node vis4bottom
exited on signal 0 (Unknown signal 0).
8 total processes killed (some possibly by mpirun during cleanup)
mpirun: clean termination accomplished

Has anyone successfully run PV-3.8.0 in a CAVE environment? If so,
please help.

Thanks,
Pat

file: paraview-cave
PV_PATH=/usr/local/paraview-2.6.1/bin

mpirun -machinefile /etc/paraview/machines -n 8
$PV_PATH/pvserver /etc/paraview/vis.pvx &
sleep 5
$PV_PATH/pvclient --stereo
--server-host=vis1bottom /etc/paraview/vis.pvx

sleep 5

killall mpirun

file: paraview3-cave
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qt-4.6.3/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

PV_PATH=/usr/local/paraview-3.8.0/bin

mpirun -machinefile /etc/paraview/machines -n 8 \
$PV_PATH/pvserver /etc/paraview/vis.pvx &

sleep 2

$PV_PATH/paraview --stereo --machines=/etc/paraview/machines \
--server=vis1bottom /etc/paraview/vis.pvx

sleep 5

killall mpirun

file: /etc/paraview/vis.pvx
<?xml version="1.0" ?>