[Paraview] File format for CFD

Bart Janssens bart.janssens at rma.ac.be
Wed Sep 15 15:40:07 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I want to get data from our finite element CFD solver into paraview, so I'd
like to write an exporter that writes in the format that is best suited and
well supported by existing paraview readers. It should be possible to read
large data sets in parallel, with good performance.

Currently, I'm considering using the VTK file format with a .pvd xml at the top
level, but I have some concerns:
- When importing data using EnSight, it names the zones correctly, i.e. if you
had a group of 2D cells called "inlet", it would show up in the tree and can
be filtered with ExtractBlock. Is it possible to assign names using the VTK/pvd
format?
- The boundary zones would have to be separate blocks, as I understand. Is it
possible for them to reuse the point data of the volume mesh? In our solver,
the points are stored only once, and different zones can point to indices in
one big array of coordinates.
- When using multiple blocks as a result of parallelization, are points at the
boundaries between blocks duplicated? If not, how is this specified?

Kind regards,

Bart

--
Bart Janssens