[Paraview] Problems with Surface LIC

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Thu Sep 9 12:16:41 EDT 2010

Hello,

For a while the LIC tests were disabled on Linux. I reactivated them
and fixed an issue in the code itself. I also made the code more
reliable to reject
OpenGL 2.1/DX9 GPUS (like GeForce6 and 7) as LIC requires at least a
GPU from the OpenGL3.0/DX10 GPU generation (GeForce 8 and above).
.
The SurfaceLIC test (a VTK test) works fine for me with nVidia driver
195.36.24 (the one from Ubuntu 10.04) but
a more recent driver version on a dashboard machine does not (256.44).
You can see in the log that it is a driver bug because it is an
internal nVidia compiler error:

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=65216017&build=716358

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Richard GRENON <richard.grenon at onera.fr> wrote:
> David E DeMarle wrote:
>>
>> GPU drivers are frequently buggy. It is one of the reasons why they
>> come out so frequently.
>>

> Thank you for the answer.
> So the GPU rule seems to be: "When you have got a good driver for LIC,
> please don't update it!" :D
> These are not good news for people depending on system administrators who
> may have planned periodic GPU updates (although the period between two
> updates may be very looooong!) and may have other priorities than searching
> for the best driver to make a given software run, especially if this is only
> for a few number of more or less obsolete workstations.
> This promises again sweat, blood an tears for some poor LIC users... :D
> But indeed, LIC is a great plugin. I got some pretty pictures on some
> workstations and on my home computer (with a good driver!). The LIC
> developers have made a good job, and I hope they will be able to increase
> its robustness in the future releases.
>
> --
> Richard GRENON
> ONERA
> Departement d'Aerodynamique Appliquee - DAAP/ACI
> 8 rue des Vertugadins
> 92190 MEUDON - FRANCE
> phone : +33 1 46 73 42 17
> fax   : +33 1 46 73 41 46
> mailto:Richard.Grenon at onera.fr
> http://www.onera.fr

François Bertel, PhD  | Kitware Inc. Suite 204
1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive