[Paraview] Adding Reader Plugin to "Files of Type" dialogue

Peter Schmitt pschmittml at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:14:47 EDT 2010

Hello,

I cannot get my reader into ParaView's "File -> Open" dialog.  I am
following the "CSVImageReader" tutorial here:
http://www.kitware.com/products/html/WritingAParaViewReaderPlug-in.html

I built ParaView-3.8.1 from source using qt-4.5.3 on my 64-bit Linux
workstation (FWIW, I've also tried this on my Mac OSX 10.5.8 box using
Nokia's qt-4.6.2 dmg release for 10.5+).  I built the libCSVImage.so after
adding the following to the top of vtkCSVImageReader.cxx:

#include "vtkCSVImageReader.h"
#include "vtkDataArray.h"
#include "vtkImageData.h"
#include "vtkInformation.h"
#include "vtkInformationVector.h"
#include "vtkObjectFactory.h"
#include "vtkPointData.h"
#include "vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.h"
#include "vtkTable.h"
#include "vtkVariant.h"
vtkStandardNewMacro(vtkCSVImageReader);

I start up ParaView, goto "Tools -> Manage Plugins -> Load New ..." and I
now see "CSVImage" as "Loaded" in the "Local Plugins" pane.  However, the
"File -> Open" menu doesn't show the CSVImage type.

When I attempt to open a *.csvimg file, I am prompted with a dialog titled
"Open Data WIth ..." saying "A reader for
/home/schmitt/paraview/testData/test.csvimg" could not be found.  Please
choose one:"  and a list of 22 readers ("POP Ocean" through "TecPlot", but
no CSVImage type.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Pete Schmitt