[Paraview] .cosmo file format?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Nov 1 12:35:05 EDT 2010

This is how Jon responded (with minor edits from me) off-list:
--------
The cosmo file format is simple, it is just a record format/list of
particles: 7 floats and 1 32-bit int per record/particle, no header.

x1 vx1 y1 vy1 z1 vz1 mass1 tag1
x2 vx2 y2 vy2 z2 vz2 mass2 tag2
x3 vx3 y3 vy3 z3 vz3 mass3 tag3
xN vxN yN vyN zN vzN massN tagN

x y z = particle position (float)
vx vy vz = particle velocity (float)
mass = scalar quantity (float)
tag = unique id (int)

You can have multiple files as well, as long as the file ends in a number,
or ends in a number before the cosmo tag, e.g.:

file1.cosmo
file2.cosmo
fileN.cosmo

or

file001
file002
file003

Lastly, the format is binary, not ascii.  So 32 bytes per particle, and the
size of your file will be N * 32 bytes.

-Jon

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.