[Paraview] ParaView Tiled Display Mode Query

Kumar, Shree shreekumar at hp.com
Thu May 27 06:48:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have ParaView running on a Tiled Display (using instructions from
https://visualization.hpc.mil/wiki/Paraview_Tiled-Display_Mode). I have setup a number of X
screens that control the tiled display. I use the options -tdx and -tdy to get Paraview running
on the tiled display.

This worked fine when all my X screens were of the same size. I have a new setup now. In this
setup, some X screens are smaller than others (these are on the edges of the Tiled Display). One
such example Tiled Display is :

+-----------+-----------+-----------+
| 1600x1200 | 1600x1200 | 1600x1200 |
+-----------+-----------+-----------+
<----- :0.0 -----------> <-- :0.1 -->
      3200x1200

( Screen 0 is controlling two displays, and Screen 1 is controlling a single display )

When I now run ParaView (pvserver with mpirun, etc), I don't get the correct image on the tiled
display (didn't expect it either). I also see error messages like the following --
"""
ICET,0:ERROR: Sizes of src and dest do not agree.
ICET,1:ERROR: Sizes of src and dest do not agree.
"""

Now one question : Is there any way to get such an irregular configuration working ?

One solution could be to configure a separate screen for each display, each of size 1600x1200; if
done, this would become a "regular" 3x1 configuration and ParaView would run satisfactorily ?

---

Slightly OT: I am running ParaView using VizStack (http://vizstack.sf.net/). This converts node(s)
with GPU(s) into a sharable viz resource. Users can allocate one/more GPUs and run applications
(such as ParaView) as well as remote viz sessions (TurboVNC/VirtualGL/HP RGS) on them. I'll be
making a separate announcement on this sometime next week, but you're welcome to try VizStack too!

With VizStack, each user can run independent ParaView sessions on a cluster, with each of them
using any number of available GPUs. VizStack dynamically configures X servers based on what GPUs
are allocated to each user. VizStack's ParaView script can run ParaView in "Single Client-Multiple
Server" mode, as well as in "Tiled-Display" mode.

Thanks
-- Shree

VizStack : http://vizstack.sourceforge.net/
Personal Blog : http://www.shreekumar.in/