[Paraview] Minimal X Window System config

Paul McIntosh paul.mcintosh at internetscooter.com
Tue May 25 06:04:08 EDT 2010

An update... I have a solution :)

I think that twm hangs because it expects user interaction (i.e. a mouse
click) before creating the window. Debugging pvserver shows that it is
sitting waiting for XGetWindowAttributes and never gets them.

So I tried another tack and just ran pvserver without twm (or any window
manager) and used xinit to invoke the X Server. The following commands work
and will probably be useful for someone else...

1) Run a single instance (X Server shuts down when complete)
xinit <fullpath>/pvserver

2) Run multiple instances (X Server shuts down when complete)
xinit <fullpath>/mpirun -np 16 ./pvserver

3) Run multiple instances across multiple GPUs (X Server shuts down when
complete)
xinit <fullpath>/mpirun -bynode -np 8 ./pvserver -display :0.0 : -np 8
./pvserver -display :0.1

Cheers,

Paul