[Paraview] Contours of streamlines crashing

David Borland borland at renci.org
Fri May 7 12:39:18 EDT 2010

I have some steady-state vector field data that I am visualizing using
streamlines and particles via the following pipeline:

Mask Points on the input (~100 points) to generate seeds
Stream Tracer with Custom Source to generate the streamlines
Contour on Integration Time to generate particles, which can then be
animated by animating the Isosurface value.

This was working fine in v3.6.2, but started crashing in v3.8.0.
*Note:  The crashing only occurs when the streamline filter output is
attached to a contour filter.*  After some investigating, I realized
that part of the problem is with different default values for the Stream
Tracer in 3.8.0 vs. 3.6.2.  From what I have been able to figure out so
far, it looks like different values for the Integrator Type (default of
Runge-Kutta 2 in 3.6.2 and Runge-Kutta 4.5 in 3.8.0) and Initial Step
Length (default of 0.5 in 3.6.2 and 0.2 in 3.8.0).  After experimenting
with these values, I have found the following:

Windows 3.6.2 64-bit binaries:  Crashes for any Runge-Kutta with Initial
Step Size 0.5
                                                 Works for any
Runge-Kutta with Initial Step Size 0.2

Windows 3.8.0 64-bit binaries:  Crashes for any Runge-Kutta with Initial
Step Size 0.5,
                                                  Hangs for Runge-Kutta
4 and 4.5 with Initial Step Size 0.2

Ubuntu Linux 3.6.2 64-bit build:  Crashes for any Runge-Kutta with
Initial Step Size 0.5,
                                                    Crashes for
Runge-Kutta 4.5 with Initial Step Size 0.2

Ubuntu Linux 3.8.0 64-bit build:  Crashes for any Runge-Kutta with
Initial Step Size 0.5,
                                                    Crashes for
Runge-Kutta 4.5 with Initial Step Size 0.2

The results on Linux seem to be more consistent than on Windows (go
figure...), and different data sets on Windows seem to have slightly
differnt behavior, but there certainly seems to be some interaction
between the initial step size and the integrator type.  I'd be happy to
log a bug if that is more appropriate than posting to the mailing list.

David