[Paraview] Build Error on CVSHEAD on OS X

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Mar 22 10:54:34 EDT 2010

When building ParaView CVSHEAD I get the following error:

[ 24%] Generating vtkSocketCommunicatorHash.h
dyld: Library not loaded: libvtksys.pv3.7.dylib
   Referenced from: /Users/Shared/Kitware-CVS/ParaView/Build/VTK/
Parallel/../../bin/vtkHashSource
   Reason: image not found
/bin/sh: line 1: 36264 Trace/BPT trap          ../../bin/
vtkHashSource /Users/Shared/Kitware-CVS/ParaView/VTK/Parallel/
vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx vtkSocketCommunicatorHash
vtkSocketCommunicatorHash.h
make[2]: *** [VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicatorHash.h] Error 133
make[1]: *** [VTK/Parallel/CMakeFiles/vtkParallel.dir/all] Error 2

 From the error I deduced that the build system is trying to run an
executable that was dynamically linked against the vtksys.dylib
library. With the default build configuration on OS X this is a
problem because the "install_name" on the libraries do NOT have a
path, just the name of the library. This can be solved by running the
following from my particular build directory:

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/bin

Is this a known bug or something that needs to be done during the
builds as a matter of building paraview?

Thanks
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio