[Paraview] Plugin works - doesnt - works - doesnt - ...

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Thu Mar 18 14:20:51 EDT 2010

Hi!

I am experiencing strange behaviour in ParaView. Believe it or not, I
have a plugin that works every second time I start Paraview. I am doing
the exactly same thing with one specific image, all steps are absolutely
identical, still it works exactly only every second time.
If I have, say, an even Paraview Session, the plugin works any time. I
can use it as much as I like, change values, update it, remove it, use
it again, ... it just works.

The other (odd) time I get:

Warning: In /opt/ParaView3.7/Servers/Filters/vtkTexturePainter.cxx, line 180

vtkTexturePainter (0x1b64340): Failed to locate selected scalars. Will
use image scalars by default.

This holds for an older and the actual cvs version 3.7. When I compile
the plugin for 3.6 it works ALWAYS.

I have difficulties in locating what the problem is. It seems that it is
because I am using ITK filters in this plugin (derived from
vtkSimpleImageToImageFilter) - all my VTK-only filters work without a
problem. Maybe these scalars get somehow messed up during the conversion
between ITK and VTK (every second time ...)

I know this most probably won't help you developers find any bug but I
am asking because maybe this is somehow a known issue...? Something must
have changed since Paraview 3.6 here... Since it works for many image
types it is quite big, so I can't attach it to let you check this.

Best regards,
Christian