[Paraview] Dynamically add files to Paraview reader

M. Nawijn nawijn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:37:07 EST 2010

Hello,

I use Paraview to visualize optical measurement data during buckling
experiments we perform at our institute. Normally I do the
visualization after the test, however, I would like to extend our
capabilities and monitor the results during the test. I have some
experience in Python scripting in Paraview, but I cannot figure out
how to dynamically add files to a reader. What I would like to do is
launch a script that observes a directory for new files, automatically
load the file and update the render window to the last entry. In
pseudo code I would like to do something like the following (not
working):

>> observer = MyObserver('my_directory')
>> reader = XMLUnstructuredGridReader(FileName = ['stage-1.vtu'])
>> warp = WarpByVector()
>> while True:
            fname = observer.next()
            if  fname:
                  reader.FileName.append(fname)
                  UpdatePipeline()
            Render()

Can something like this be accomplished with the python scripting
interface to Paraview?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Marco
National Aerospace Laboratory (NLR)