[Paraview] Problem of Memory distribution

Salman SHAHIDI salshahidi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 09:36:01 EST 2010

Hi All,

I have 8 debian workstation (WS) A,B,C,D,E,F,G, and H with paraview 3.6.1. I
have configured all them by ssh without need to passeword. Each WS has 2
cores, thus 16 processors are accessible.  In WS A i have a machine file
consisting of all the machine names. I have copied the same dataset in all
the machines too (I am not sure if this is correct or not). The problem is
the memory consumption of ParaView. By 8 WS there is not 8 times memory
disponibility. I hoped, when I run on 8 machines, that the memory
consumption is 1/8 of the size on each machine, than when I use only one
machine. So what is the reason for this? Do I need special configuration to
minimize memory consumption?

Thank you all,

        Salman

Note:

Command line in the first workstation A:

mpirun --mca btl_tcp_if_include eth0 -machinefile mymachinefile.txt -np 16
/usr/local/bin/pvserver  --use-offscreen-rendering
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
Client connected.

Then in paraview executed also in WS A i add a localhost that refers to all
the 8 servers.