[Paraview] Cells and Points in a Structured Grid Volume

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 1 13:20:30 EST 2010

The points are duplicated on all processes that have cells that point to them.

-Ken

On 3/1/10 11:04 AM, "John Mitchell" <jamitch at sandia.gov> wrote:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread:

What happens in parallel if a connectivity array for a given cell has point id's that are off-processor?
Suppose:

 *   processor P0 owns points x1, x2, x3 -- numCells = 3;  cell c1(x1) connectivity = {x2, x8}
 *
 *   processor P1 owns point x4, x5, x6,x7,x8 -- numCells = 4;  cell c8 (x8) connectivity = {x7, x2}
 *

What I have found is that setting global Ids on P0 for connectivity associated with c1 causes problems?  Does that make sense?  Is there a work around?

Thanks,
John

Moreland, Kenneth wrote:
 Re: [Paraview] Cells and Points in a Structured Grid Volume Please read The VTK User's Guide.  In particular, Chapter 12 talks about the structure, implementation, and interface of VTK data objects.  It should clear up lots of your questions.

http://www.kitware.com/products/books/vtkguide.html

The Threshold filter converts the data from a structured grid to an unstructured grid (because it changes the topology).  The connectivity and coordinates are no longer implicit, so they have to be stored in files.  Thus, running the Threshold filter can actually change your data a lot.  There is a longer discussion of this in The ParaView Tutorial, section 3.8.

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/The_ParaView_Tutorial

-Ken