[Paraview] Why does paraview want to install its own duplicate of QT libraries?

François Bissey f.r.bissey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jun 3 00:49:02 EDT 2010

<f.r.bissey at massey.ac.nz>wrote:
> [...]
> > My current process died at install time:
> > -- Installing: /media/anthill/portage/sci-
> > visualization/paraview-3.8.0/image/usr/bin/paraview
> > -- Installing: /media/anthill/portage/sci-
> > visualization/paraview-3.8.0/image/usr/lib/paraview-3.8/paraview-real
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtCore.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtGui.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtNetwork.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtXml.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtSql.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtHelp.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtWebKit.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtCLucene.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtXmlPatterns.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtDBus.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing /usr/lib/paraview-3.8/libQtOpenGL.so
> > tar: /usr/lib/paraview-3.8: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > -- Installing: /media/anthill/portage/sci-
> > visualization/paraview-3.8.0/image/usr/lib/paraview-3.8/sqldrivers
> > -- Installing: /media/anthill/portage/sci-
> >
> > visualization/paraview-3.8.0/image/usr/lib/paraview-3.8/sqldrivers/libqsq
> > lmysql.so -- Installing: /media/anthill/portage/sci-
> >
> > visualization/paraview-3.8.0/image/usr/lib/paraview-3.8/sqldrivers/libqsq
> > lite.so -- Installing: /media/anthill/portage/sci-
> > visualization/paraview-3.8.0/image/usr/lib/paraview-3.8/.plugins

> > There are several issues in this simple log:
> > -First the install procedure for the QT libraries doesn't seem to respect
> > the
> > DESTDIR variables.
> > -Second why the heck do you want to have a copy of the QT libraries
> > provided
> > by the system inside the paraview library folder? It was not needed by
> > paraview 3.6.x and if it is needed now, it means something is seriously

I just realised that the last few lines about sqldrivers are actually copies
from qt-sql. Your fix will get rid of these too.
What are the requirements of the paraview QT4 client in terms of sql?
Does it rely on any particular sql implementation?
On gentoo a user can choose which backend they want to install individually.
What happens if qt-sql is not present at all?

Francois