[Paraview] Data selection with tiled-display

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Mon Jul 26 06:56:46 EDT 2010

We have paraview 3.8.0. running in a tiled display (20x pvserver
instances to make a 4x5 display). In general, everything works as
expected. However while working through the tutorial
(ParaViewTutorial38.pdf) I found that exercise 2.18 (selection of
cells or points with the mouse) causes all the pvserver instances to
crash. There's no informative error message, just something along the
lines that failure of rank #n caused a shutdown.

This seems to be a problem only in tiled display mode. If I change to
client/server mode with just a single pvserver (either remote or
localhost), the data selection works fine. Its a problem only in tiled
display mode. All other tutorial exercises work fine.

Could anyone confirm that the data selection functionality as per the
tutorial is (or isn't) working for them with paraview 3.8.0 on a tiled
display please?

chris

P.S. I'm running SLackware 13.0 with mpich2-1.2.1p1 and
paraview-3.8.0. The display cluster consists of 5 machines, each
driving 4x 1920x1200 LCD's i.e. 4x pvserver instances per machine

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland