[Paraview] Paraview [3.8.0] goes into infinite loop on using pointSprite with Sphere

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Mon Jul 12 14:30:08 EDT 2010

Hi Madhura,

A quick review of the file
ParaView/Plugins/PointSprite/Rendering/Resources/Shaders/Quadrics_vs.glsl
shows it is missing a statement #version 120 at the beginning as
transpose() is defined for GLSL>=1.20.

It does not mean it will fix your issue because your card has to
support GLSL>=1.20. What is your card? what version of GLSL does it
support?

To answer this question, as your are on Windows, download, install and
run glview (latest is 3.22):
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#Windows

In the main panel, you will see something like:

OpenGL version 3.2  see details

Click on "see details"

You will see a second panel, the second part is called "Report"
One of the first few lines of this report will be about the GLSL
version, for example:

"Shading Language version: 1.50"

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Madhura Phadke <madhura.np at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paraview Version: 3.8.0
> Plugin: pointSprite plugin
> OS: Windows 7, 32 bit.
> I recently started using paraview, and whenever I try to use PointSprite
> plugin with Sphere mode [I use a point source with 500 points, and change
> point sprite mode to 'Sphere'] , I get the error "In
> ..\..\..\src\VTK\Rendering\vtkShaderProgram2.cxx, line 450 vtkShaderProgram2
> (0BF67D38): a shader failed to compile".
> The error log that got generated can be viewed
> from http://cid-bf4825315fd31e46.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=BF4825315FD31E46!151&Bpub=SDX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink.
> I found a similar issue in the September 2009 mailing list archive
> [http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2009-September/013883.html]. However,
> it was pointed that the bug has been fixed in version 3.8, the version I am
> using.
> It would be great help if someone could point out if I am doing anything
> wrong, or if its an issue, how I could fix this.
> Thanks,
> Madhura Phadke

François Bertel, PhD  | Kitware Inc. Suite 204
1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive